Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Corona Virus


After reading about the state of things in New York today (Sat., Mar. 28), I don’t think that I can joke too much about the virus. Here are some local observations.

Is relish a vegetable? Sometimes I wait until I’m just about out of everything before going to the grocery store. (Then I don’t feel as bad about spending the money, too.) I see people in masks and remember that it’s good to get out quickly. Mostly what I buy is wine and cereal (I have these separately). We now have to stand behind pieces of tape on the floor at checkout to maintain space between us. A good idea.

Maybe the idea of maintaining space, especially if you’re sick, can carry over to the classroom when all of this is over. I have had students stand about six inches from me and lower their voice (for privacy, I assumed). Trying to boost my student engagement and empathy (ongoing SCAD edicts), I’d lean in. They would then tell me that they’re deathly ill, so is their roommate, and they don’t think that they should be in class today. Great.

Why gloves at the grocery store? I saw a woman at Whole Foods yesterday wearing a pair of winter gloves. Can’t these people put hand sanitizer on their hands when they get back in the car? Then wash their hands when they get home? I can see the logic in glove-wearing by workers who touch food like check-out clerks. But beyond that it’s pretty creepy.

Press conferences by Governor Kemp. Granted, his press conferences and public statements are necessities right now. But I’m sick of the fake folksy speech (“We’re gonna be frank with folks, and we’re gonna be sure we kin do it in a straight-forward kinda way.”) I want competence and clear English. No more opaque voting schemes that depress turnout. I want smart people as leaders and I want my country back. Is that too much to ask? Do you know who Stacey Abrams is?

Back to on-line teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment