Tuesday, December 21, 2021

 

Where's my bike helmet? Want to ride downtown ... 

My partner cleared out the car port where I had left it last and then put it, of course, exactly where it should be -- in my bike basket. 

My partner is meticulous. It's a quality that has served him well as a general contractor. Did the profession influence his behavior, or was it already present, as in a six year old who categorizes his sock drawer? 

His mother assured me that it was the former, because as a teen his room was typical -- strewn clothes, shoes, a trumpet for a period of time, frisbees, etc. 

His first construction project was the home where he was living in Minneapolis. His living and construction space were carefully separated by a plastic curtain, I imagine, and other neat markings. 

His father came to visit and described the scene. 

"I couldn't believe it! This same guy who had two feet of stuff on the floor of his room had created an impeccably separated work and living space. When I say 'work,' I mean construction, and all of the things that went along with it. I thought, 'What happened?'"

An impeccable work space has become his habit.  gotten worse since then. He is a hoarder, as most general contractors must be to some extent, but the hoarding is highly organized. Tools all have their place, along with bowls, baskets, and Tupperwares of nails, bolts, etc. (He has an affinity for Tupperware). The tools needed for a job are assembled the day before. 

Organization has merged with another quality, preparation. One of his sayings is, "And you're on your way." He makes himself ready to be "on his way" I'd say almost everyday. Traveling means a suitcase at least mostly packed the night before. It waits by the door for him hours before time to depart. (This truly drives me insane.)  He likes to lounge before leaving on a trip, watching golf on TV or a movie. In the meantime I'm in a frenzy between bathroom closet and make up bags. 

He's a regular at hot yoga, which generates a lot of laundry. No worries, because it's dropped off in the laundry room on the way into the house, and the bag of new work out clothes gets packed and set on the counter for the next day.

"And you're on your way" is his philosophy of being prepared: Be ready for what comes next. Not a bad way to live your life.  




photo of bike and helmet?  

No comments:

Post a Comment